- » Media
- » Press releases
- » INQUEST INTO POLICE SHOOTING OF MARK DUGGAN BEGINS MONDAY 16 SEPTEMBER
INQUEST INTO POLICE SHOOTING OF MARK DUGGAN BEGINS MONDAY 16 SEPTEMBER
14 September 2013
Monday 16 September 2013 at 10.30am
Before HM Coroner HH Judge Keith Cutler
Sitting at Court 73, Royal Courts of Justice, Strand, London WC2A 2LL
The inquest into the death of Mark Duggan will begin on Monday September 16 at the Royal Courts of Justice in London. There will be an opening statement read out by counsel for the Coroner and evidence will commence on Tuesday 17 September.
Mark Duggan was shot and killed by police in Tottenham on Thursday 4 August 2011, during a police surveillance operation.
The subsequent IPCC investigation has been the subject of serious criticism. In 2012, the IPCC and the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) each issued an apology for the way it dealt with Mark’s family in the aftermath of the shooting.
However the MPS have remained unco-operative, with the officers refusing to be interviewed. As a result, the family have grave concerns over the quality and robustness of the IPCC investigation.
It is the family’s position that the inquest should consider the following key questions:
- Whether Mark Duggan was armed at the point at which he was shot
- What intelligence the police had and whether it could have resulted in a different operation
- Whether it was absolutely necessary for the police to use lethal force.
Pam Duggan, Mark’s mother said:
Since Mark was shot dead over two years ago we have been provided with nothing but lies, misinformation, and delay. We hope that the truth will finally come out for the sake of all his family, not least his young children.”
Deborah Coles, co-director of INQUEST said:
"Where citizens are killed by the state there must be a robust and fearless inquiry to ascertain whether the use of lethal force was lawful and necessary. This inquest is long overdue. Mark’s family have been forced to endure far too many delays and poor treatment at the hands of the MPS and IPCC. It is disgraceful that none of the officers have been interviewed and their version of events remains completely untested. A full, fair and far reaching inquest in front of a jury of ordinary men and women is essential, both for Mark’s family and the wider community.”
Marcia Willis Stewart, solicitor for the family said:
“The family remain steadfast in their determination to reach the truth about Mark's death. We consider that only an article 2 compliant inquest will achieve that aim.”
INQUEST has been working with the family of Mark Duggan since his death in 2011. His family is being represented by INQUEST Lawyers Group members Marcia Willis Stewart of Birnberg Pierce Solicitors, Mike Mansfield QC and Adam Straw of Doughty Street Chambers, and Leslie Thomas of Garden Court Chambers.
Notes to editors:
- The family will not be giving interviews while the inquest is ongoing.
- The inquest is due to begin on Monday 16 September and the coroner is scheduled to sum up on 19-20 November. The court will be sitting from 2.30pm to 4.30pm on Mondays, and 10.30am to 4.30pm Tuesdays to Thursdays. It will not sit on Fridays. Updates on witnesses available from INQUEST.
- The inquest has a dedicated website with a live audio stream of the hearing. Transcripts of the hearing will also be posted there.
‘Although it is fair to say I was given adequate opportunity to express my views the final verdict was not the one I had hoped for. We were all devastated to think that [our brother] had died in such tragic circumstances and no one had been made accountable.’
– Family of man who died while detained under the Mental Health Act